Portable Toxic Gas detector Introduction Series – Part 3
- In many different fields, the safety concentration standards of each gas are also regulated differently. For this industry, CO’s 200ppm index is acceptable, but in other industries, this index is too high for people to work in it…
- Likewise, there are many criteria set for a gas detector for each specific industry, so manufacturers also have specific types of gas detectors that meet each customer’s requirements.
Part 3 – General classification of toxic gas detectors
- Gas meters can be classified according to the operating mechanism (semiconductor mechanism, oxidation mechanism, catalyst particle mechanism, or infrared light …).
- Gas detectors are generally classified into two main categories: handheld gas detectors and fixed gas detectors.
- Handheld gas detectors are used to monitor personal, worker, and work environments.
- They are carried by attaching or wearing protective clothing, hard hats, belts. Gas detectors of this type are always powered by batteries. They give easily observable warning signals along with sounds, such as alarms, flashing LEDs.
- With single-gas handheld gas detectors, many manufacturers design Models that can operate continuously for 2 or 3 years without having to recharge the Battery. They are also not necessary to display specific concentrations of gases on the screen. However, they still continuously monitor the leakage of toxic gases, if the gas concentration to be measured exceeds the threshold allowed according to the standard installed in the machine, immediately the machine will issue warnings.
- To adapt to carrying on people, to ensure monitoring of the working environment throughout the working time. At the same time, the machine must adapt to many harsh working conditions, such as being very easy to fall, impact, poison in an environment with unexpected toxic gas concentrations exceeding the permitted level…. Therefore, handheld toxic gas detectors are mostly designed to be as compact and light as possible, and it must be convenient for users to read the parameters of the machine.
- Many manufacturers have designed handheld gas detectors with the function of turning the screen 180 itself, whether when hanging on the belt, or when standing in any condition, users can easily observe the index of toxic gases displayed on the screen.
- With environments that require toxic gas measurements in gas spaces, limited spaces before going to work, manufacturers also produce gas detectors with integrated air sampling pumps. They will suck the gases in these spaces out and put into the machine to measure, if the concentrations of toxic gases in these environments ensure safety, the new workers come to work.
- Fixed systems can be used to detect one or more gases. Usually fixed gas probes are installed near the processing area or control room, or a protected area.
- Generally, fixed gas detectors are installed on lightweight steel structures and come with cables that connect gas measurement sensors to a SCADA system for continuous monitoring. Fixed gas measuring sensors are designed with an inter-dynamic lock so that it can be easily activated for emergencies.
- Fixed type toxic gas probes are also designed with a variety of types depending on the needs of the user.
- For applications that do not require too high, users can use the built-in air probes that display gas concentrations, similar to single-gas detectors that do not need to be displayed.
- They act as warning sirens with a sensor built in, if the concentration of toxic gases exceeds the standard level, these sensors will sound a warning signal.
- More advanced and more active protection, are gas probes with the function of displaying toxic gas concentrations on the on-site screen. There are also sensors that integrate the function of giving a 4 ~ 20mA series signal, constantly bringing signals to warning systems, pre-installed safety systems.
- In general, gas detectors and gas detector manufacturing technology have made strong progress, meeting most of the requirements of users in different fields.
by TES Industry